Friday, October 29, 2010

Of Masks and Magic

I can hear the sounds of innocence and bliss in the air. Footsteps dashing from door to door, gleeful grins from angels and devils united on this night. All seeking the sweet innocent thrill brought on by, well, sweets.
Yes, a treat indeed. A treat for the little ghosts and ghouls and for the zombies.
On this night, they are in masks and costumes. On this night, I remove my mask and costume. No need to pretend that all is right in the world because for this one moment, those smiles are enough.
I envy them.
Even if I am an angel or a fairy tonight, the magic disappears as soon as the sun appears. They will remain little angels even when the costumes are taken off.
Meanwhile... I walk around feeling like, well, a zombie.
May I please be a fairytale princess just a little while longer?

No comments: