Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Farewell, Monkey

I told the monkey on my back, "My, you're getting heavy."

He bared his teeth at me and threw a banana in my face.
I tried to push him away. He really was weighing me down. Plus, I don't appreciate having fruit crushed on my face.
His expression changed from angry to deeply saddened with the blink of an eye.
I attempted to console him. "I know, monkey. I've carried you for so long and you are a part of me, but we must part."
He refused to look at me.
"When we met, I was still standing upright. Now the burden of keeping you for so long has caused me to stoop and hunch over. If this goes on, I'll be forced to crawl on my knees. Please understand."
He looked at me, eyes full of accusation and contempt.
I sighed. "You forced me to do this."
Uncertainty danced across his face.
I lit a match and lit him on fire. He was going down, one way or another.
He clung on tightly as the flames consumed him, so the flames would consume me too.
I merely smiled. The heat was melting years of icy numbness sealing my heart. When his screams finally burned away, I jumped into the lake.
Farewell, monkey.
I fell freely towards the bottom, eyes shut. When I felt the tug of life, once again calling to me, I resurfaced.
Farewell, guilt.
Hello, future.


3 comments:

ScoMan said...

Riyya! Oh wow! I'm so happy to see you blogging again =D

And I hope this is the first of many posts to come. I've missed you.

Badriyyah said...

I've missed you too. =)

Anonymous said...

hey - i was just randomly going through blogs and I found this one. I think this post is written really well. just so you know that internet nomads do read your posts. :)