Thursday, January 15, 2009

Tech Savvy

Recently I met up with 2 friends of mine, a married couple, M and J, who came down for the holidays. So, we had a way-too-short catch-up.
We were just talking about things and of course the subject of computers popped up [as it will when 3 out of the 4 present were Computing students, making me the proud odd one out].

J was telling us about his grandmother signing up for a computer course. And when his mother brought over a PC to his grandmother's place, she told her mother not to delete 'My Documents' because "it's very important".
The following day, when she went over to visit, her mother proudly told her...
"I deleted 'My Documents'."

Then J continued to tell us more grandparents-related computer stories [after a short laughing break].
His grandparents had bought a new printer and were trying it out. It worked but after a while, it apparently stopped working.
So they took it to the store, told the people there that it wasn't working and exchanged it for another one. They were also given free ink cartridges in the process.
They took it home and tried it out. The same thing happened: it worked fine and then it didn't.
Again, they took it to the store where they got another exchange and more free ink cartridges.
Same thing happened when they took it home.
His grandad said to him, "I don't know why this keeps happening."
His reply?
"Because you've run out of ink."

That just cracked me up. I love grandparents. They're wonderful.

I imagine we'd probably crack them up if we tried to work the sewing machine or typewriter or whatever else they used back then.

Like that classic line from one of the episodes of 'My Wife and Kids'...

Claire, on the typewriter, saying to her father:
"I've been up working on this paper all night, now all I have to do is print it out. Where's the print button?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate technology.
I don't know how to use anything. Like my new touch cellphone, sometimes when I'm outside, it doesn't recognize my freezing fingers, and so I can't answer my calls. Useless.

ScoMan said...

Thanks for sharing those stories.

My Grandfather is terrible on the computer. He is on a first name basis with everyone at Microsoft support.

His theory is he can't do anything that will permanently break it, so he tries anything and everything just to see what happens.

Badriyyah said...

Cheryl: Technology baffles me too. Unfortunately, we need them in today's society.

ScoMan: Your grandfather sounds fun!