Wednesday, March 4, 2009

You Can Throw That Tape Measure Out

Remember when you were in school and you've just received your report card? You take it home, show it to your parents and the usual spiel follows.

  • You only got in the Top 10? What happened?
  • How come you only got 63% for Science?
  • What did [insert best friend's name here] get?
  • See? He/She did better than you. How did that happen?
To which I only have one answer: I didn't study. Yes, I suffer from chronic laziness. Anyway, science never really caught my interest in school. But that's besides the point.

The point is... why does your success have to be measured against another person's? Does it not speak for itself? Does it mean that you have to push, trample, shove, beat down others on the way to the top?

A little friendly competition is good and all to motivate yourself to do better. I've seen friends go all out to beat each other. But then again, I've always been more on the coasting side of things. I suppose the key is in the balance, as it is in all other things. Balanced diet, balanced lifestyle. Balance of Type A and Type B.

It's not just education and exam results that people compare, though. It's everything. Especially in families, particularly Asian families.
  • Look, your cousin is so pretty and so slim. You should watch your diet more.
  • See, your cousin's husband is so successful and so rich. You should find one like that as well.
  • Your cousin is doing so well at work, etc.
Honestly, I don't particularly give a fig. It's nice for them and I'm happy for them. But I'm content with what I have. Sure I have my own goals and dreams, but they have nothing to do with outshining or showing up anyone else.

So, for those people who think that they're better than someone else because they have nicer clothes or a more expensive car or have more money stuffed in their purse...

I say...

You know where you can stuff it.


P/S When you go to a posh boutique here but aren't dressed head-to-toe in designer gear, the people in the store [90% of the time] assume that you can't afford anything in there and either refuse to help you or follow you around with this disdainful attitude like you're tainting the store. You know who you are.

2 comments:

ScoMan said...

I remember when I finished High School and I got a 77.75 ENTER score, which I was happy with because I got into the course I wanted.

Mum looked at it and told everyone it meant "I had done better than 3 quarters of the students that year", and I hated she looked at it that way. But at least she didn't say "Why didn't you beat the other quarter?"

Badriyyah said...

I suppose they only want us to be the best that we can be.

Still drives me crazy though.