Monday, March 9, 2009

Stasis

He's watching me, studying my face for a frown, a smile, a wrinkling of the nose - anything to let him know what I'm thinking.

My lips curve into a smile but remain silent.
He smiles back and touches my hand.
I see the uncertainty in his eyes. I hope he doesn't feel the uncertainty in my heart.
He asks me a question. I answer but don't elaborate.
I feel him begin to panic as he grips my hand tighter.
I look at him and look away.
I want to pull away and I want to pull him into me.
His panic somewhat reassures me.
So this is where we stand.
Is this where we end? Or is this where we move on?
I don't know.
I'm not sure I want to know.
I know that I need to smile now. So I will.
But I wonder...
Is the loneliness worse when you're alone or when you're right beside someone?
The eternal question floats in my mind again.
Is it worth it?

3 comments:

ScoMan said...

I say the pursuit of happiness is worth any prince, even if it leads down a few sad paths.

Badriyyah said...

what if you're tired of pursuing and want to be pursued instead?

=P speaking of, i still haven't seen the film. have you?

ScoMan said...

I forget which film =(