Saturday, September 13, 2008

Gold Coins

   This happened when I was still a student in Swansea. I was out with some friends; it was a Saturday, so four of us girls decided to head out to the shops.


   Now, I am obsessed with make-up. Ironically, I hardly ever wear make-up [strictly due to laziness, and also, now that I'm back in sunny Malaysia, I really don't want to deal with make-up melting issues]. But I have folders of make-up looks I loved, torn out from magazines. 

   Anyway, the four of us passed by Boots and I wanted to pop in to look at the make-up section because on that day, I felt like I really needed some beige eyeshadow. This set off a chain reaction of make-up buying. I got my beige eyeshadow, and an emerald shadow because I just couldn't resist, and the other girls got blushers and mascara and whatnots.

   When we were done, we headed to the cashier. Now, I had this habit whereby I just had to have the money ready in my hand before I got to the cashier. I think I owe this to shopping at Tesco and this innate fear of making the people behind me wait longer than necessary because I didn't have my money ready.

   So, on that day, I had my coins ready. I think my make-up came to just a little over 5 pounds [cheap, I know], and I had a whole load of coins in my purse. However, I was struggling holding on to the coins because I was also holding my make-up. Then of course it happened. My coins slipped from my palm and scattered all over the floor, rolling under shelves.

   My friends went chasing after the coins, and we managed to recover most of them, except for a 2 pounds coin. Now 2 pounds, when converted, comes up to almost RM14, which, to a student overseas, is still quite a lot of money. So I got down on my hands and knees and peered under the dusty shelves.

   After about 5 minutes of searching, I decided to give up. My friend told me to wait and persistently went on looking under the different shelves. It wasn't looking likely that we would find the missing coin, so I went over to the counter to pay. Just as I was about to get my purse out, she yells out in excitement. Apparently she had found my little gold coin.

   She reached under the shelf and in her hand is a shiny gold coin. A SHINY GOLD FOIL-WRAPPED CHOCOLATE COIN. This obviously set off the others and they just pissed themselves laughing. I couldn't stop laughing either. 
   Anyway, I paid up, went over to the others and continues to laugh for a few more minutes. My friend told me to just keep the chocolate coin as it cost me 2 pounds, and that I should eat it.

   Seriously, it could have been there for MONTHS or even YEARS. Euw...


 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Riyya! Funny story... so who was the one who asked u to eat the chocolate coin? Sounds like smth Farina would do. hahaha... =D

Badriyyah said...

Farina was the one who found it! Erm... it was Ija, I think. I can't really remember cos it happened more than a year ago.
But I think it was her. Sounds like her, right?
Where you at now? xxx

Anonymous said...

Yup sounds like her.. haha. Well, I'm still in Sg for the time being but I'm headed back to Swansea this Friday.. =(

Badriyyah said...

Ready to start your final year?
Hehe... crazy as it sounds, I kind of wish I could go back to being a student! Even though it's so stressful, at least all those biscuits are justified!
Ah, well. Then you'd better spend the remaining time with the keluarga and the teman lelaki. =P