Monday, September 22, 2008

I Am Also Malaysian... But, Please Lah!

   I'm sorry, but this might be a ranting and raving session. Proceed with caution...


   So, last night I went out with my parents after buka puasa. I was told that we were going to One Utama, which was the only reason I went because there was something I wanted to get from there. But, for some reason or other, we ended up in Sogo

   Surprisingly, even though it was after 9, the place was packed. What with raya coming soon, the stores have extended their shopping hours. So, there I was, trying on clothes, and next thing I know, a hand reaches in and pulls back the curtain. Emm... hello? The curtain is closed. Most probably there is someone in there. If in doubt, call out at least. Then, I didn't get so much as a sorry. All I got was the woman saying to another woman... "Oh, ada orang dalam tu." Well, yes, there is indeed a person in there. Me.

   That was the first incident. The second happened when I was queueing for the cashier. I was second-in-line. Of course, this woman decided that she is above having to queue and cuts in front of me. My mom was having none of that and pushed me ahead when it was my turn. The woman glared at me. I happily glared back. [So appalling the way some people behave and how it brings out the worst in me. That's partly why I miss Swansea so much. I was usually so happy-clappy there.] 

   In the middle of paying, this woman's [who was still standing there] husband went to the cashier next to the one I was at. So her husband tells her to pay there. I don't know what her particular problem is, but perhaps she has never been to a civilised shopping mall before. Instead of walking over to where her husband was, she decided to pass him the shirts she was holding. Right in front of my face. I wasn't too happy about this, obviously. 

   After we finished paying, I stormed off, saying loudly for her benefit, "Susah lah orang macam ni. Kalau tak tau nak queue, jangan lah keluar lain kali." Or something that wasn't quite as polite as that. 

   I'm Malaysian, I love my country, but really... please, lah.


3 comments:

`` said...

OHHH-EMMM-GEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!
I've never been one for confrontations (though I do love being witness to them. lol. dramadrama!), but man oh man that lady would've gotten a piece of my mind.
Your post reminds me of an observation of mine that I've had for a long time now - maybe it's just me, but have you noticed that people are crabbier during the holidays? And don't even get me started on how much worse everyone's driving suddenly gets too!

So much for good will and good cheer eh? :)

P.S. here's a link to an old post of mine; it's lengthy (as usual), but the b*tch encounter happens about a 1/4 way into the post. happy reading :)

http://www.nicsnoodle.com/2007/10/so-i-gave-her-look.html

Badriyyah said...

Yes, I've noticed that! People seem to be driving worse as well now that holiday season's here. I'm soooo avoiding driving for the next couple of weeks.

I'll go read your post now. Hehe. Lengthy is fine by me.

Badriyyah said...

Okaaaayyyy... what I actually said was... "Stupid. If you don't know how to act in public, then don't leave the house." Oopps... mean, I know, but I was majorly pissed off.