Sunday, September 28, 2008

Letting go...

   You were there when I stepped down from that coach, to see my new home for the first time ever. You stayed with me through the bad times, and the good times. Sometimes, when things got so bad, you were the only comforting touch around.


   You understood my excitement as I skipped down the cobbled lanes of Florence. You laughed with me as I looked out gleefully from the water taxi at the waters of Venice. You were awed into silence when we reached the ancient theatre of Dionysus and shared in a part of history.

   You ran along with me as I rushed to get an essay in on time. You helped me when I stumbled along on my first hiking trip ever. You sat with me as we sat by the beach and enjoyed a picnic. Who could forget that first touch of snow on bare fingers? 

   We were together for so long. We shared so much and went through highs and lows. But I had to close a chapter on my life as an end was approaching. I had to start anew. To do that, I had to leave you behind.

   Not only did I have to leave you behind, I had to discard you completely. How my heart ached at just the thought of doing so. How I wanted to cry when I actually had to do it. I couldn't bring you along with me, I hope you understand. The distance was just too much, I couldn't handle it.

   And so, I let you go. I still think of you. I still have the photos to remind me.

   And I shall always remember you in your glorious beauty, instead of the ragged mess I left behind. My beautiful first pair of trainers.


No comments: