Saturday, September 20, 2008

Hopelessly Devoted To Yooooooouuuuu...

   Ok, don't be fooled by the title of the post. This is not going to be a sickeningly sappy post. This was just something I remembered when I read Nicole's comment on what a lucky woman I am in my previous post.


   Anyway, this is another story from when I was back in Swansea. My friend, a Penang girl, was cooking for the first time ever for her then-boyfriend [now husband], who is a Swansea native. She had whipped up a Malaysian dish, I can't remember what specifically, but it was something full of spices like cinnamon sticks and cloves and whatnot.

   He kept complimenting her on how delicious it was. But imagine her surprise when he finished eating and she found that his plate was clean. She asked him about it. "Did you eat the spices as well? You know, the wooden-like stuff?"

   And he said, "Yes! I didn't want to hurt your feelings by leaving food on the plate, so I ate it all."

   My friend just burst into hysterical laughter. I mean, even we Malaysians don't eat the spices because they're so bitter, and this guy had swallowed every single one. Now that's what I call devotion.

   So, she told him that he didn't have to eat the spices in the future, and he was so relieved because he said it tasted horrible [obviously!], but he didn't want to say so because he didn't want to hurt her feelings! Awww... bless!


4 comments:

`` said...

aiyohhhh..what a sickeningly sweet story that was :) i loved it, nonetheless.

and yeah, any time i cook up a curry feast for my non-m'sian buddies, i have to tell 'em to watch out for those spices...especially cardamom. omg, have you EVER bitten into one of those things?!?! it's such an assault to ones tastebuds. bleckh.

Badriyyah said...

i have actually! urgh... how can something that makes the dish taste better taste so horrible?

this one time she made pandan chicken for her husband and her in-laws, and she had to tell them not to eat the leaves. lol.

`` said...

now pandan leaves i've never bitten into (then again, it's not like you leave that stuff in the food, or that it's even hard to miss. hahahaha).

*sigh* all this talk of food is making me miss makan-makan sessions with family.

Badriyyah said...

well, the pandan leaf is wrapped around the chicken... maybe they could have mistaken it as an asian salad leaf?

no plans to move back to sunny malaysia then?