Wednesday, November 26, 2008

And The Verdict Is... Guilty!

Okay, confess. How many of you have signed up or joined something or just committed yourselves to a cause, but didn't follow through?


I know I'm guilty of doing just that on many, many counts.

When I was a little girl, I wanted to join ballet.
So, ballet classes it was.
I went to the first class, but sat by the side because I wanted to 'watch and learn' first.
I went to the second class, did about 10 minutes, before giving up and crying.
I never went to that third class.

When I was about 10, I really liked art.
So, my parents signed me up for art classes.
We went to the school, my parents paid for my lessons, and when they were about to leave, I started sobbing and wanted to go with them.
I held onto my mother's leg and refused to let go.
They had to go back in and get a refund.
I sobbed all the way home and never went to a single art class.

When I was 18, I signed up for a driving course.
I paid the first payment.
I never went.

When I was in my final year in Swansea, I decided to join Aikido.
I signed up with the Aikido Club and paid my membership fees.
I was so excited at the idea of learning an art of self-defense.
In my head, I was imagining myself as Kasumi from D.O.A. Or as Uma Thurman in Kill Bill.
I didn't go to even one lesson.

So, guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty.

That's not including all the let's-ditch-the-chocolates-cakes-and-crisps-and-be-healthy plans that I've [barely] started and quit within days.

*sigh* I'm working on this though. No, really, I am.

2 comments:

ScoMan said...

Oh yes, I know the feeling. I've been "going to learn the guitar and another language" for about four years now.

Badriyyah said...

Oh, that reminds me. I took up guitar for about a month before I decided it wasn't right for me - after buying a guitar. And I took up Spanish for a couple of months before I got lazy.Tsk.
At least you've only been 'going to...' for the past 4 years, I've been 'going to...' all my life it seems. Sigh.