Monday, November 17, 2008

Oriental Wonder

A few years back, when I was still a student in Swansea, I joined this thing that was a social network website. It was on the recommendation of 'A' [since we were doing the long-distance thing, he thought it would be fun to chat there instead of on regular MSN or Yahoo, for some reason that seemed to make sense at the time]. Anyhoo... it turned out to be a dating website. So I got loads of... "What are you doing here then if you're already in a relationship?" Erm... because my boyfriend told me to?


Anyway, I had my picture up on the site. So, one day I was just surfing through people's profiles and a man sent me a private message.

Man: Hi. Are you Oriental?
Me: [What the poof? Am I Oriental... like noodles?]
Me: [Curiosity piqued, which was the only reason I deigned to reply.] Erm... sort of.
Man: That's wonderful!
Me: [Rather taken aback at this display of excitement over my ethnic origin.] Oh... thanks.
Man: I'm so glad to meet you. You know what they say about Orientals? Of course you do.
Me: [Actually I didn't.] Erm... that we have good food?
Man: No. Oh, come on. You must know?
Me: Actually, no. Do you mean that Orientals are quiet and submissive? [Getting a bit peeved by now.]
Man/[TOOOOOOOOT]: No! That you Orientals are great in BLEEEEEEEEEEEPPPPP! I'm sure you must be too.
Me: [You twisted, prejudiced joirk!] [What I replied to this has to be edited out.]

That was the first time I've ever been referred to as Oriental. Usually, if pressed, I just answer that I'm Asian. Methinks that TOOOOOOOOOOOT has watched a little too many mature films.

Ah, well. There's always a first...

But prejudice does tend to land one in uncomfortable situations, yes?

2 comments:

ScoMan said...

Haha there's a lot of freaks on thte Internet.

Badriyyah said...

Oh, dear. And we're on the Internet. I need a freak shield or something like that.