Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Speak Softly Or Not At All

"What can be said at all can be said clearly; and whereof one cannot speak thereof one must be silent."     - Ludwig Wittgenstein -



You asked me why I was silent.
Why I chose to look out the window instead of speak to you.
You thought that perhaps I was angry or upset with you.
Or that I was unhappy.

When, in reality, nothing could be further than the truth.

I'll tell you why I was silent.
I'll tell you why I looked out that window instead of speaking to you.
I didn't choose to stay silent because I was angry or upset.
Or because I was unhappy.

I stayed silent because I didn't have the adequate words.
I stayed silent because the English language doesn't have the adequate words.
To tell you everything I was feeling at the moment.

So, I stayed silent.
I stayed silent not because I was angry or upset.
Or even because I was unhappy.

I stayed silent...
Simply because I had no words.

1 comment:

Badriyyah said...

is that you speaking softly?