Thursday, November 20, 2008

Losing My Voice

Sometimes, I want to hide under a table.

Sometimes, I want to hit a wall.
Sometimes, I want to get in my car and drive and drive.
Sometimes, I want to cry until all the pain disappears.
Sometimes, I want to just stare out the window.
Sometimes, I want to think of all the things I've lost.
Sometimes, I want to collapse on the floor.
Sometimes, I want to dwell on the past.
Sometimes, I want to tell you everything.
Sometimes, I really do.

But...
"Don't cry, it upsets me so to see you upset."
"Hey, it happens to everyone."
"Well, it's an experience. At least you can say you've experienced it at least once."
"Oh, don't be upset. It will all be fine."
"How ungrateful are you? You've been so blessed! There are people out there being abused or not having enough to eat!"
"Grow up and deal with it."

Which all amounts to basically the same thing...
"Quiet. Shut up, shut up, shut up."

Well, I'll tell you this.
"I know. I know all of that. But what I want to know is when I've hit a low point, will you be there to help me up?"
But I won't.
So, I'll just listen to what you tell me.

And be quiet. 
Sometimes I shut up and I swallow it all in.
Like I'm supposed to.
Like the adult I am.

So, I take it all in.
And I smile on the outside.
Like I'm supposed to.
For you.
So, you can tell yourself that everything is fine.

I'll close my mouth so you can close your eyes.

And, I still want to hide in a dark corner.
Because if I disappear, perhaps all the other bad things will as well.



P/S I'm not really writing about myself, in case any of my friends get worried. But I'm sure that at some point in time, all of us have felt like this. So, really, this was supposed to be some sort of poem, but I'm too lazy to figure out the meter, etc.

4 comments:

`` said...

whaddya know, you wrote a blog about me!

ScoMan said...

I like it, makes me think.

Badriyyah said...

Nicole, that just proves what I've been trying to tell people - that I'm selectively psychic. Unfortunately, my psychic powers tell me that I'm not going to get rich giving psyching readings.
Back to the drawing board.
But seriously, everyone's felt like that at one point or other, don't they?

Badriyyah said...

ScoMan [I have to find out your real name somehow], thanks!
I really appreciate all your comments. =D