Monday, November 3, 2008

The Pretend Princess Says...

   Dear 18-year old Me,


   Midnight has come and gone.

   When that tiny second hand on the clock pushed the minute hand from 11.:59 to 12:00, it was officially my Birthday. [cue birthday song and appropriate party noise]

   A year older.

   Now I can no longer tick the 20-25 age group.

   I am now officially a proud member of the 26-30 group. [However, when I go celebrate my birthday with my friends, they have been instructed to refer to it as my 24th. A hex upon them if they break this girly pact.]

   [Remember when I used to lie about my age and say I was older? Of course you remember. You're me. Or, I'm you. Anyway, now I lie shamelessly and tell people I'm younger. I can't believe I used to tell people I was older than I actually was. Anyhoo...]

   Oh, big thanks to 'A' for being there when midnight rolled in. That was the best birthday present you could have given me. [Of course, if you want to give me more stuff, I would welcome them into my home. That huge stuffed panda would look lovely on my bed, hint, hint.] Seriously, thank you. L.U.

   [Oh, 'A' is a very, very special someone. But you'll see for yourself.]

   I was feeling a bit melancholic while waiting for this day to come. One minute, I would be ecstatic and full of excited anticipation, then suddenly I would get all mopey and upset. [My rights as a woman.] But now that it's actually here, it's actually quite nice. Sure, I will no longer be able to get away with saying I'm 18 [a tactic I used to avoid people stopping me to answer surveys - being below petite has its advantages], but I have a whole lot to be grateful for.

   [I know you had hoped to be married with at least one baby by now. Sorry to tell you that's not the case. Oh, and you still haven't landed that dream job. Wait! It's not all bad. Seriously. I'm happy. You'll see for yourself. Things are good. I have my driver's license! I know, I know... who knew I could actually get back behind the wheel after that little accident? Oh, and by this time you'll have great hair and great shoes and tons of confidence. And... the best bit? We did get to go study in the UK! So, that's one dream we got to live. Plus loads more. I don't want to ruin the surprise.]

   So my life didn't exactly work out according to plan, but hey, at least it's an adventure. Let's see what 26 is going to bring me. Hmm... 26... it's got quite a nice ring to it. Yes, I think I'm beginning to enjoy being a 26-year old woman.  

   [I may be 26 now, but I keep referring to myself as a girl. And I still haven't grown out of that cartoon thing. Still love watching cartoons.]

   Anyway, life is good. The only thing[s] that could make it perfect right now is a book deal [which I'm trying to work on] and a ring on my finger. Maybe by 27? But I'll take each day as it comes. As the great man said, "Life is what happens when you're busy making plans" [or something like that].

   
   Enjoy being 18! Quit worrying about things. Things have a way of falling into place - eventually.


Love,
The newly 26-year old Me

   

8 comments:

Kristie said...

Hey, found you through NaBloPoMo. Love the layout you have, that's fantastic.

Welcome to the 26-30 bracket! =) It's a good place to be.

`` said...

Awww :) I really really really loved this blog of yours!! I can't pinpoint exactly why but there was just "something" about it that struck a chord in my <3 :)
Anyway dear, happy happy happy birthday... you seem to be embracing 26 better than I have been. Good on you :)
(((Birthday Hugs!)))

Badriyyah said...

Hi, Kristie!
Thanks for visiting! I love the layout too, hehe. After many, many different versions. You can find backgrounds for your blog here at thecutestblogontheblock.com =)
I'm feeling that it's going to be great to be in this 26-30 bracket. =D Thanks!

Badriyyah said...

Hehe, thanks, Nicole!
Welcome back to my blog... it's been a while, huh?
Busy with the new job?
Thanks for the birthday wishes! [Yes, I'm embracing it now... wait until later when I have to actually say it out loud... I'm... 26...]
=P

adib said...

happy birthday! :p mok present?

Badriyyah said...

Of course! Oooohhh... gimme, gimme, gimme!

Viral Virago said...

Happy Berfday!!! :P

Badriyyah said...

thank you!!!