Monday, October 13, 2008

And The Cards Say...

One day, when I was 18, I took my little sister out to the mall. It was a Saturday, which meant, the flea market was on. We were browsing the stalls, buying beads and bangles, and other bits and bobs. Then my sister saw the sand art stall and just had to do it. So I left her in the careful care of the attendants and wandered off for a bit [not too far, I still kept the sister within sight].

I had only taken a few steps when I saw it. The stall. The stall with HIM. Him being Master X, the famous fortune teller / reader /etc. So, I decided to have a little visit with him. I took the whole package of face reading / palm reading / tarot card reading.
He read my face first. [I don't remember everything because this happened 8 years ago.] He told me, looking at my forehead, that I am forward-thinking and have a good sixth sense. Unfortunately, he also told me that I have an overactive imagination and likes to jump to conclusions. Guilty. Well, where else is my imagination going to jump to if not to conclusions? Hmmm... I can't quite recall what he said about my nose and chin. I think he said I get bored quickly. I'd get totally excited about a new idea and give it my all, for about a week, or until I got bored. He said I probably rearranged my room all the time. I do, but that's because I keep buying new things and having to rearrange my room to fit it all in. Oh, he also told me that my firstborn would be a girl, then I might get a boy, then another girl. What's with the 'might get a boy' bit? But I do remember what he said about my mouth.
He said that I am a very good storyteller. However, he said the stories I tell might not necessarily be true or real. I was insulted. Was he calling me a liar? [Presuming of course, that I bought into this stuff, which I don't. Well, not really.] Anyhoo, since I fancy myself a writer, of course I love telling stories. And a lot of my stories, while based in truth, are also creations of my imagination.
Then it was on to the palm reading. He said I will travel a lot. Joy. He said I will have a relatively easy life, and that I will always have people to help me. ]I have been blessed with a wonderful family and great friends who always help me out when I need them.] Then he said I might get married late! That stunned me. [I'm a deeply romantic person and totally buy the soulmate thing.] He said after I turn 24 or 25, I would have loads of men interested in me [I so do not! I only have my man, which is all I need really]. But that I would marry late because I was materialistic. I'm not! I love to shop but I don't care about brands and stuff. Gah. I was extremely upset at this point.
I asked him if the 'men' 'after me' were 'good men' and he said yes, just not rich. Which is why I rejected 'them'? What 'them'? Hahaha... I'm 25 going on 26 and I can safely say, there aren't any 'them' for me to reject.
I kind of blanked after that as I was so upset. I barely heard him as he read my cards, or if I did, his words didn't register.
Since that encounter, I have stayed away from fortune tellers. Obviously I don't deal well with being called a materialistic would-be spinster, who may or may not be the mother of 2 daughters and 1 son.


No comments: