Friday, October 17, 2008

Nice Girls Finish Last?

Me, when I was 15.
Typical schoolgirl, nothing special. Did not do anything spectacular, but never got into major trouble either.
I was just cruising along. I did break a few little rules along the way, like eating in class during break when you're supposed to be downstairs in the school canteen.
But sometimes I just can't be bothered.
So, there I was eating some chicken nuggets or whatever and a 'friend', who was a prefect saw me and came in. I asked her if she wanted some and she said sure.
Then she left the room and returned with another prefect to rat me out.
She got praise [and my damn nuggets], and walked away with a smug smile.
I got a scolding, and detention [and lost my damn nuggets to her].
Thanks to her, I spent the next lunch break picking up rubbish around the school compound. In a horrifying blue apron thingy.
Can we say b-i-t-c-h?

Me, when I was 20.
I got accepted and university and went to UK. It was my first time there, and my first time away from my family. I was terrified and upset enough as it was.
Upon arrival, a very nice lady from a volunteer organisation [that specifically welcomes international students at the airport] showed me around.
I had arrived at Heathrow and needed to get a coach to Swansea.
A man cuts in front of me in the queue and tells me that he just needed to ask something from the lady at the counter.
I said sure, go ahead.
He bought the last ticket to Swansea on the coach I wanted.
He got to go off.
I got a ticket for the noon coach [it was 7 a.m. when I arrived].
I was trying not to cry while sitting on the bench all alone, waiting for that bus to take me to Swansea. [The bus which, by the way, broke down outside of Swansea and we had to switch buses. At this point, I was openly crying. I was miserable and afraid I would not reach my accommodation in time for the 5 p.m. deadline. Plus, it was that time of the month. I know, nice.]
To this day, I still feel like breaking the liar's nose.
Unfair?
Yes, it was.

So, do nice girls finish last? I don't think so. But even if we do, at least we get to keep our dignity [which is not at all comforting when you're sitting alone on a bench for 5 hours]. Lesson learned, dignity still in place.

Now I'm a nice girl who stands up for herself. Hurrah!

4 comments:

`` said...

Good for you :)

Btw - was that chicken nugget/bitch prefect an SSC incident?

Badriyyah said...

Yes... but I'm not telling who it was! =P
So, are you keeping your hair long then?
I had my chopped off before raya.

`` said...

Of course you won't tell me ;)

But about my hair, I think the consensus amongst people seems to be that I should not cut it, and just put some fresh layers in.
Usually I can make up my own mind, but sometimes it's better to let others do the dirty work for me. lol

Badriyyah said...

oh, okay. but hair does grow back, as i keep telling myself to console myself.

but it looks great now. you know what they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.