Thursday, October 9, 2008

I Want, I Need... Part. 1

When I was an art student [for about 6 months before my parents decided 'sitting around with a paintbrush' was not an 'acceptable' career], I spent many, many sleepless nights struggling to finish a sculpture or getting frustrated with sticking beads to a box. The worst part about those seemingly endless nights was the loneliness. When everyone else in the house was asleep, and you're trying not to cry from the exhaustion and stress, the feeling of acute loneliness was what really got to me.
I was single at the time and I just longed to have someone stay up with me and keep me company. Just to keep my spirits up. So, when the stress really got to me I would drift off and think about this man, my 'dream' man. I decided I wanted someone who was tall [to balance the fact that I'm super short], fair and neat, short hair. He wears glasses, because for some unknown reason, I think men with glasses are just so sexy. Since I was studying art and design at the time, I wanted a man who was also a designer, like a web designer.
I even gave him a name. At one point, I said his mobile number had to start with XXXXXX. He came from a similar background and liked almost the same things as me. He was also 4 years older than me, a fact I was insistent upon because I thought 4 years was the perfect age gap between a man and a woman.
Then I would go back to whatever it was I was working on.
Life goes on, as it does, and I quit art school and signed up for a different course. I was enjoying myself at the new college and forgot about my 'dream' man.
A few months later, it was my best friend's birthday and she insisted that I stay over at her house because she wanted me to go clubbing with her on that night. I was in her bedroom with a few other girls, trying to untangle the mess that is my hair when there was a knock on the door.
Since I was closest, I went over and opened it. And there he was - all 6'1, fair, with a neat, short haircut. I thought nothing of it at first. We went out to the club.
He tried to make conversation but it was just way too noisy. I did manage to get his name though. And it was 'that' name. After a few hours, we went back to my best friend's house and some of the others decided to take a dip in the pool. He sat by the pool with us and I talked a bit more with him.
He was a web designer, he said, and was 4 years older than me. I got up and went inside, and he came in and joined me. We just sat in the living room talking for hours [or, what seemed like]. He was telling me he was thinking of getting contacts and I told him not to, because guys with glasses are hot. We just went on chatting as the other girls flitted in and out of the house.
Until, finally, finally, we could barely keep our eyes open and decided to go to bed.
[No, I didn't go to bed with him...]
So, what happened with my 'dream' man? This man I so desperately wanted that I created every single detail of him in my overactive, sometimes overheated brain?
Read on...

No comments: