Thursday, October 16, 2008

Crash, Crash, Crash And Burn

I rarely read the newspaper. Or watch the news. It's not that I'm shallow, but the current economic situation / political situation, etc. really gets me down. [Yes, I do sort of know what's going on. I'm not completely oblivious, though I sometimes wish I could just live in the jungle.]
Today, I decided to pick up the newspaper. Front page: horrible car crash that killed 3 people, including a pregnant newlywed and her unborn child. Flip over to the second page: continues the report from the front page. Page three: three more fatal accidents.
My heart just plummeted right there and then when I read those reports.
I started thinking about how dangerous it is out there and how people still think it's cool to drive fast. Well, it's not. Speed kills. It may sound boring, but is it not better to be a little bit boring but alive, than to be 'exciting' but dead? I mean, really, where does that get you? Nowhere, but your loved ones get to grief over you.
I always, always tell 'Him' to be careful. I'm a bore and a nag, but it's only because I care. There are so many reckless people out there. That's why I hate reading the newspaper.
That's why I sometimes wish I lived in the jungle [a predator-free jungle, obviously].
I'm quite a newly-licensed driver and this just scares me. Plus, I did experience a little incident of a van nearly hitting my car while we went round a corner because the driver of the van swerved into my lane without any indication whatsoever. I was terrified. Luckily, nothing happened, but thinking of the what-ifs just set me off.
I got home and burst into tears.
Some people should not be allowed on the road. I say, just give them bicycles or let them get the bus if they're going to be so reckless and inconsiderate.

No comments: