Friday, October 24, 2008

It's Only Words... And Words Are All I Have

   Fact: The English language is the universal language. 

   Fact: I was an English student.
   Fact: I studied in Swansea University.
   Fact: Apparently, I do not speak English.

   Proof: A man with a very heavy Irish accent working at NTL called me.
   Proof: He had to repeat himself about 5 times.
   Proof: After 5 times of repeating himself, I still could not understand him.
   
   Conclusion: I had to apologise over and over, and tell him that I didn't mean to insult him. I simply could not understand him. He just laughed and said he would call back some other time.

   Fact: I've been reading books written in English, and writing in English since I was about 4.
   Fact: Apparently, my command of the English language isn't as strong as I thought.

   Proof: My friend introduced me to her housemate, who was from China.
   Proof: He said, "Do you study computer also?" [My friend studied Computer Science.]
   Proof: I answered, "No, no." [With a vehement shake of my head.]
   Proof: He looked rather taken aback and confused.
   Proof: What he had actually said was, "My name is Peter. What's yours?"

   Conclusion: My friend hissed at me in Malay, telling me that he just told me his name was Peter. I quickly apologised and told him I misheard him. Poor boy. He must have been wondering why this strange girl was telling him that his name was not Peter.

   Fact: We speak the same language, but words can be lost in translation.
   Fact: Accents are great.
   Fact: I need to work on my hearing skills.


2 comments:

Bill Chapman said...

I don't think it's a fact that "The English language is the universal language". It is fairly widespread, it is true, but on my travels I've come across plenty of people who neither understand nor speak English.

There's a good case for wider use of Esperanto. Take a look at www.esperanto.net There's plenty of information in English!

Badriyyah said...

Oh, I did some research and English usually comes up as the either the first, second or third most-spoken language in the world.
I was also being quite liberal with my 'facts', as the actual point of this post were the various conclusions.
Thanks for the information!
Thank you for dropping by. =D