Tuesday, October 21, 2008

To Climb A Tree

   It is the year 1992

 
   I was playing with my friends. They had a huge tree in their front lawn. We decided to climb it.
   I went first.
   I climbed a few inches, slipped a few inches, laughed the whole way.
   Oh, it was a coconut tree, by the way. 
   I tried and tried and I managed to get up a few more inches before slipping all the way down to the bottom.
   I laughed right all the way down, even as I landed on my bottom.
   I managed to rip my shorts along the way.
   A fact that we found hilarious.
   I tried, I failed, I picked myself up again and happily went my way.

   It is 2006

   I was out hiking with my friends. They wanted to go down to the first waterfall. I told them to go ahead without me because it looked like such a long way down.
   They went ahead and talked me into joining them.
   I went last.
   I was nervous that I would slip, even when my friends were waiting for me right there.
   I inched down slowly and yelled every time I felt my foot slide away.
   I managed to slide all the way down.
   I was relieved and excited.
   I did not want to do it, was talked into it, managed to do it [with a cheering section], and went my way.

   Oh, to be able to climb a tree, fall on my behind, pick myself up, and walk away without over-analysing why I failed again.

   

2 comments:

greenfloss said...

Did I climb with you in 1992? ;p hehe sorry just trying to be silly!lol

Badriyyah said...

think it was wanda, yvonne and me.

it was at their house.

wait, didn't you already move by then?

ke i mixed up the years and it was 1993, not 1992?

hmm...